b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: 25 Jul 2004 08:13 GMT

Dear Yigal,

I must contradict you. I arrive by exact calenaridstic computation means to
results similar to Rohl`s however without altering the chronology of the 13th
Egyptian dynasty. I date the Exodus by ca 1622 BC to the time of Dedumose by
several ways.

1. first of all there are references to an exodus-similar event in
contemporary acts of the period. The assumption these would be an echo of the
biblical exodus leads to a plausible date of 1622 on astronomical
computational basis.

2. the application of the daru-period (see Cambridge Ancient History, vol. 1,
part 2 (1971) “ Assyria c. 2600-1816 BCE”, Hildegard Lewy, pp. 740-741 and
761) to the biblical chronology (specially to that of the judges) allows a
similar reconstruction of the data leading to a date like 1622 BC
3. The assumption the biblical calendar was a sequel or spinn-off of the
Egyptian calendar allows by computation similar to the Egyptian Sothis
calculus to arrive same numbers

4. an overseen destruction level (by K. Kenyon) in Jericho with the case of a
kerem victim found in these strata and defense structures similar to those
described in the biblical sources, is datable exactly to this period of
before 1600 BC. Since we will by no chance find a grafitti Joshua was here,
this is the uttermost what one could expect from archaeology to confirm a
given chronology.

There are several other dating elements to bring this chronology on solid
ground.

I can not say that my demonstration thereoff is an easyread (as little as the
previous paper about Meluhha and the Amalekites), but it is, I suppose, worth
the effort.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart