b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:28:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>

> Dear Peter,
>
> While I have not read Rohl and cannot comment directly on his work, I differ
> with your basic assumption. The next fixt date, in which a biblical event is
> clearly mentioned in a dated source, is the invasion of Israel by
> Tiglath-pilesser III in 733. Working back from there, using biblical
> evidence only, would NOT get us to 926 for 1 Kings 6:1
>
> Yigal

I just looked up the history of Persia, and noticed that dates for the
burning of Persipolis ranged from 331–327 BC. Then go a few hundred years
earlier to when Cyrus captured Babylon, how far inaccurate is that date? When
exactly did Nebuchadnezzar capture Jerusalem? Do we know exactly the year
Tiglath-pilesser III invaded Israel? I am willing to say that all these dates
are approximate; in fact, I am unwilling to give exact dates for anything
that happened before Constantine set up the modern calendar. All other dates
are attempts of translating from one calendar to another, sometimes three or
four translations before getting here, and mistakes can cumulate. That’s
assuming that we have complete records to begin with which, AFIK, we don’t.
Thus I put the Exodus as happening 1450 ± ?? where I’m not sure of ??. In
fact, I’m suspicious of those who insist on exact dates, or even exact years.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm