b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] weyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] weyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:07:21 -0600

On Monday 19 July 2004 20:46, cmeadows3 AT verizon.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please forgive me if this is redundant. I was reading Rolf Furuli's
> excellent paper on pragmatic and semantic factors. I've not heard of
> "WEYIQTOL" as a tense before.

It isn't. It's the yiqtol tense with a conjunction. Hence, in your example
below, you would be correct. There is a distinct difference between the
weyiqtol, which is actually two words, and wayyiqtol, which is one word
(Rolf's difference of opinion notwithstanding). The former is a common tense
with a simple conjunction, the latter is a distinct form with different force
than the latter.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur