b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] weyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] weyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:46:17 -0500

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this is redundant. I was reading Rolf Furuli's
excellent paper on pragmatic and semantic factors. I've not heard of
"WEYIQTOL" as a tense before.

Using Isaiah 43:10 as an example - ..."that ye may know and BELIEVE me and
understand..." I looked this up in the archives but cannot quite put my
finger on it.

I would have seen the "BELIEVE" (VeTAAMINU) as simply a hiphil imperfect with
conjunctive waw. Is every similar example of sequential yiqtols with waw
conjunctive a WEYIQTOL? Or in other words is every waw conjunctive a
weyiqtol? Thanx!

C Meadows