b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kadeshah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kadeshah
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:56:19 -0500

If this is the story I remember discussing at a sabbath service at Hillell
house one night, someone asked if Tamar wasn't guilty of sin!

Some of this is simple Israelite pragmatism. Judaism has always been very
down to earth and very pragmatic in its morality. In a situation where
there are no good choices or the alternatives are sin or die, one is
expected to take the course of action that causes the least actual physical
harm. I always thought the point of the story was that Tamar made teh best
she could of a bad situation and did God's will! The Book of Esther is
another example of this, and there is yet another example in the Book of
Ruth - where Ruth "lifts up her skirt" at the harvest festival to the man
she wants to marry.

The ancient Israelites just plain did not see female morality the way we see
it. As long as you didn't sleep with a different man than one you
legitimately belonged to, and as long as you did the will of Man and of God,
you did right in the eyes of God.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas