b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Benjamin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Benjamin
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:52:22 +0200

Dora,

If you're referring to the Bene Yamin attested at Mari:

1. There is nothing in the Mari texts that shows any connections with anyone
"through the entire transjordan from the Euphrates region to the Negev."
Mari was sutuated on the central Euphrates and had ties throughout
Mesopotamia, Syria and as far south as Hazor. There is nothing in the texts
that show that the Bene Yamin were anything more than a local (east-central
Syria) tribal group.

2. Any direct link between anything in 18th century Mari and in 12th century
(or later) Israel is extremely conjectural. Mari is very useful for
illuminating the Northwest Semitic cultural background that eventually
produced Israel, but that's it. The fact that there were similarly named
tribes in both Mari and in Israel does NOT mean that the two are the same
tribe, but just that the name did originate as a geographical term, which
became the name of the tribe in that area.

Yigal