b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:49:20 -0500

Eduard:

There is no evidence that this is a compound noun to refer to a day. For one,
the word “day” is missing. Secondly, there are other places where nouns
listing different objects are placed side by side without it being either a
genetive case nor having a waw separating the nouns. Thus, there is no reason
not to say that this refers to 2300 evenings and mornings, 1150 of each, or
1150 days.

Doing a little bit of arithmatic, 1150 days comes to 38 1/3 months at 30 days
/ month. Usually leap months occur once every three years, but rarely years
with leap months are separated by one year. If the time of Antiochus’
desecration of the temple was during one such rare period, with a leap month
the first and third years, the 1150 days comes out exactly to the day as
recorded in Maccabbees.

Karl W. Randolph.