b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:57:41 -0400

On June 28, 2004 Peter Kirk wrote:

On 28/06/2004 07:34, George F. Somsel wrote:

>That is one way of handling the problem. Since, however, it is
generally
>conceded that the Book of Daniel was an ex eventu (or at least
>contemporaneus) writing, it would be surprising to find him making such
>mistake. My inclination is to accept that he knew whereof he spoke.
>

>But this compounds the backwardness of your argument. You presuppose
>that Daniel was writing ex eventu and on that basis derive Hebrew
>lexical principles? Anyway your presupposition is far from generally
>conceded. It seems to me that it is accepted mainly by those who
>presuppose that genuine predictive prophecy is impossible, and are
>prepared to reject as a deliberate lie the explicit statement in verse 1

>dating this vision to the third year of Belshazzar.
_______________

I would not say that my proposal involves any assumption that predictive
prophecy is IMPOSSIBLE. If one believes in God, then it would seem he
can do whatever he jolly well pleases. It rather observes that this is
not the customary fashion in which God acts and that there is no reason
to presuppose that he has changed his modus operandi. I therefore assume
that this is a very human manner of speaking about events under the aegis
of a faith in God who controls all things.

You, on the other hand, have a priori assumed that God has changed his
mode of operation, that the events described happened precisely as they
are depicted, and that this is a case of predictive prophecy. You do
allow that if they did not happen as depicted then he was a false
prophet. Therefore, I ask you "Where is your six year period?" Or do
you concede that this was not a compound word describing a unitary
object?

george
gfsomsel