b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] three days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Patrina" <patrina AT bestmail.us>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] three days
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:26:50 +1000

Yigal

There may be some connections between "biblical 3 day periods" and the
conjunction of the moon. The dark period between the disappearance of
the last visible crescent, and the approximately 3 days until the first
appeareance of the new crescent, probably had quite a lot of folk lore
associated with it. It was most likely seen as an ominous time, and
possibly to travel would be considered "dangerous". Certainly it would
be difficult to see at all if people needed to be outside.

On the other hand (OTOH) it may be considered a auspicious time to
travel from the new moon towards the full moon as the moon gained in her
strength. The Israelites's emphasis on the moon for festivals (full
moon, new moon) shows that they also had an understanding of the ominous
and the auspicious times for events in their religious calendar. There
were always extra sacrifices at new moon (if I recall correctly) which
may be to further gain favour from YHWH around the 3 day period of
conjunction/new moon.

Patrina Nuske Small
Adelaide, South Australia