b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] three days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] three days
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:03:51 -0400

Yigal, if I may also add, the 3 days are also mentioned in Gen.22:4 (NASB),
"On the third day Abraham raised his eyes and saw the place from a
distance.", in Exod.19:10-11 (NASB), "The LORD also said to Moses, "Go to
the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their
garments; and let them be ready for the third day, for on the third day the
LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people." Another
place is Esther 4:16 (NASB), ""Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in
Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I
and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the
king, which is not according to the law; and if I perish, I perish."
It appears from all these passages that the third day is the day of
redemption, salvation and revelation. In Hosea 6:2 (NASB), the same thought
is evident, "He [God] will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on
the third day, That we may live before Him." Three appears also as the numer
of witness and attestation since 2 or 3 witnesses were necessary to
establish a case in judicial proceedings. In the NT this idea of 3 days is
important as the third day is the day of the resurrection of Jesus. The
story of Jonah being in the stomach of the great fish is used in the NT as
an analogy of Jesus' entombment for 3 days prior to his resurrection.
(Matthew 12:40) It would appear that the same is happening in the cases of
Ezra and Nehemiah. Best regards,

Tony Costa