b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yshua said

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Stephen" <stephen4yeshua AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yshua said
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:47:02 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen" <stephen4yeshua AT yahoo.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 5:11 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Yshua said

> msh jbdy mt vjth qvm jbr `t-hyrdn hzh `th vkl-hjm hzh `l-h`r& `sr `nky ntn
lhm lbny ysr`l.

> qvm = through or over?
> Stephen

A good example of how the use of a standard transliteration scheme avoids
confusion. "Yshua" is a 2nd temple truncated version of Yehoshua and
immediately threw me off thinking this was a NT quote of Jesus. I have
never seen a "j" used for an ayin and the use of v's for waws also through
me off since there were no vavs in BH. After finally figuring out what this
was (Josh 1:2), I consider qwm as "rise up, get ready and move your dusty
butts."

Jack Kilmon