b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Limmuday (Isa 8:16)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Limmuday (Isa 8:16)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:21:03 +0200

Shai,

My guess is that Christian translations read "Lomedai", and understood this
as meaning that the "teaching" (about Immanuel) would be "sealed" until the
days of Jesus' desciples (although I don't know of a NT quote of this
particular verse). What does JPS have? Your translation makes perfect sense
to me.

Yigal