b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Limmuday (Isa 8:16)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Limmuday (Isa 8:16)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:03:55 +0200

Hi all,

I would like to hear your opinion about an idea I have regarding Isaiah
8:16.

All translations identify "limmuday" with "desciples" (NRSV gives: "bind
up the testimony, seal the teaching among my disciples"), as do HALOT
and BDB.

Yet it doesn't really fit: if the disciples will get the law, why should
it be *sealed* in them?

I propose to interpret "limmudim" as "covering", a meaning this word had
in Mishnaic Hebrew. E.g.:

Mo'ed Qatan 2,2: Rabbi Yehuda omer, ose lo *limmudim* bishvil shelo
yexmats ("R. Judah says: He may make for it a covering of shingles so
that the wine shall not turn sour").

If we take that meaning of limmudim, then the verse makes more sense:
"bind up the testimony, seal the teaching with a covering"

Does anyone know if this was propsed before?

Thanks,

Shai

--
Shai Heijmans