b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden and Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden and Flood
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:48:12 -0500

David:

I don‘t now of a single person who claims that sola scriptura is all that we
need to know. The claim is that the Bible is true does not automatically
include with it that the Bible is exhaustive in all the subjects it treats.

For example, whereas linen and flax are mentioned in Tanakh, nowhere is it
mentioned the steps needed to change flax into linen. The vocabulary is also
lacking. Yet it would be very surprising if the terms were lacking in the
everyday speach of ancient Israel.

Similarly, did the flood completely rearrange the surface of the earth? Did
Noah and his sons name new lands and rivers with the names with which they
were familiar from before the flood? (Of course they did not name the places
before the flood.) Or a question I brought up earlier, did David and his
armies succeed because they were armed with steel while their foes were
mostly armed with bronze? The answer to these and other questions will not be
found in Tanakh. ”Sola scriptura“ doesn‘t work in all these cases. Does that
mean that Tanakh is wrong? Again no. Tanakh is silent. The answers to these
and many other questions are not to be found in Tanakh.

What was the antediluvian landscape like? How about its atmosphere? Did God
use a physical event to cause the flood, or was it only a miracle? How much
rearranging of the lithosphere did the flood cause (if it was worldwide as
Tanakh claims, its effects would be off the charts—even the Grand Canyon is
peanuts in comparison. Underwater erosion does not occur only when the water
is still.). The answers to these and similar questions is mere speculation by
any modern person, as we cannot go back in time to observe.

Karl W. Randolph.