b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:3
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:39:33 +1000

Hi Rolf!

> By "preterite," do you mean "grqmmaticalized past tense," i.e. that
> the WAYYIQTOL is uncancellable past tense in any context, just as
> English "went" and "walked"? If so, is it possible to differentiate
> between "past tense" and "past reference," or are all verbs with past
> reference preterites? What about the 103 participles, 34 YIQTOLs and
> 217 QATALs with past reference in the Aramaic part of Daniel? Are
> all these preterites?

I would tend towards your 'grammaticalized past tense' explanation. I'm not
seeing 'Preterite' as an umbrella term for any verb referring to the past. I
think it is a specific prefix verbal conjugation. I'm not sure I want to say
'uncancellable' past tense -- I'll have to chew on that a little. But I am
saying at least predominantly past tense.

I'm not making this application to anything in Aramaic -- I'm just making
statements pertaining to Hebrew.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages