b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:2
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:56:36 +0200

I really mean it, I don't go looking for trouble but:

Genesis 1:2 -- Let there be light and there was light.

My grammar book states ( about the perfect + imperfect sequence): "The vav
consecutive is used nowhere else in the whole hebrew verb system except
here". I.E. Vav with patach.

So? YHi (yod heh yod) being a jussive is followed by exactly the same except
with Vav consecutive, and as I understand it one cannot point the vav in
this manner EXCEPT on a vav consecutive. Yet this second verb is also
imperfect.

Now you can all obliterate my reasoning because as is usual I have to be
missing something obvious.

Regards to you all -- Chris