b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:3
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:09:01 +1000

Serves to prove the view that the waw consecutive verbs are not imperfects at
all, but preterites (past tense) with a non-converse waw. The jussive is
formed off the preterite, hence both forms are shorter than the imperfect.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College