b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:44:56 -0400

> Dear Liz,
Dear Vadim,
You wrote:
> Do you know where the land of the living is employed as a
> metaphor for the territory?
I know of Psalm 137:4 (where YHWH"s songs
cannot be sung since they are in a foreign land)
which can be compared to Psalm 116:9 (where YHWH's songs
can be sung because they are in the land of the living).
The Rabbis Rashi and Redak interpret "the land of the living"
in Isaiah 53 to be Judah and Jerusalem so I agree with them
in this instance.
Best,
Liz