b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:53:51 -0500

Dear David,

I like this idea that Isaiah 53 explains how Israel received double for all her sins, and I will have to try and read Isaiah that way to see if it works. I have always understood double to imply that Israel had been punished twice as much as she had sinned. And much in Scripture suggests Israel will be punished terribly before ultimate peace and victory comes. So while I accept all that you said and am grateful that you said it, the words of Isaiah 40 still seem enigmatic.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

To this situation a surprising twist is introduced: exile is announced (39:5-7) and then it is to end (40:1-2)! The surprise is that their iniquity has been atoned for, yet nirstah creates an uncertainty about how this has occurred, i.e. is the niphal reflexive or passive? An ambiguity is introduced, fanned by the ambiguous dual kiplayim. In what way has Jerusalem received an “equivalent” punishment for so many years rebellious years--for judgement is proclaimed then quickly announced as complete? All this “good news” they are to herald (40:9), yet how this has been achieved is hidden by nirstah.