b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: pierced?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: pierced?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:15:53 +0200

Dear Harold, if I am amiss with my simple logic please correct me: I would
assume from the 'pual' conjugated form that this intensifies the idea 'to
kill/wound' since one can not make 'killing' any intenser than it already
is - do we then assume nuances of meaning related to the idea of 'To Bore'
(like holes) or 'To stab' repeatedly.

Thanks chris.

The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew lists four homonymn (homograph)
verbs with the form HLL. The word MHLL in Isa 53:5 is from the HLL
that means "be pierced." It is attested at a number of verses, and
the form in Isa 53:5 is a POAL form, which is a passive conjugation
similar to the Pual. It is a masculine singular participle.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard