b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 03:40:22 -0500

Dear Vadim:

I hesitated answering this challenge, as when I looked at your site, you a
priori rule out some readings for the text, namely certain historical Jewish
and Christian ones. As a linguist, I think it is important to keep one’s
philosophical presuppositions apart from one’s linguistic analysis. If one
tries to combine the two, as it appears that you have done, one usually ends
up with rather tortured results.

If I had been one of the people to whom you sent your article, I, too, would
have returned it without comment. I found your “translation” strange.

Do you know modern Hebrew? If so, have you studied the differences between
modern and Biblical Hebrew? There’s a greater difference between them than
between, for example, Norwegian and Swedish. You have so many nonstandard
meanings for lexemes that I suspect they may come from modern Hebrew instead
of Biblical Hebrew. If I pointed out every one, it would take a very long
response.

I mention a couple below: