b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:50:59 -0500

Dear Peter,

)$RY HGWY )$R YHWH )LHYW
H(M BHR LNXLH LW

HH: Yes, I think it does hold up. If there were an understood "whom," as you suggest is possible, then one would expect the antecedent to the understood relative pronoun to directly precede the relative clause. Here the antecedent would seem to be YHWH, which does not directly precede the clause. ...

Not necessarily. The antecedent could be "their God", i.e. "their God, whom they chose for themselves", with the relative clause explaining (rather than restricting) the meaning of "their God". Also the rule that the antecedent immediately follows the relative clause is not absolute, even in English. But then I am not trying to argue for this interpretation.

HH: O.K., thanks, now I understand your thinking. I am glad you are not arguing for the interpretation, for I still find it quite awkward. One would expect either )$R to precede H(M or BW to follow BHR with the proposed interpretation.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard