b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: nachmanl AT juno.com
  • To: yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il
  • Cc: deborahmillier AT yahoo.com, nachmanl AT juno.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:41:27 GMT

"What is ambiguous about this verse?
The two verbs "shalah" and "bahar" are in synonymous
parallelism, therefore
the subject of both is identical. Moreover, it's a psalm, a temple song, and
temple poets would naturally have praised one of their own. Shall I cite
other cases of such in Psalms?
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College"

Not semantically ambiguous. Just syntactically ambiguous, which is easily
demonstrated. While there is parellism between the verbs (not entirely
synonymous, Bahar doesn't mean what Shalah does and intensifies it, though
the election of Aharon would be "subordinate" to Moshe, and Shalah means a
whole lot of different things throughout Ps 105) but on the level of
phonological parallelism (as in Kselman,Ceresko,Watson, Schokel, Adele
Berlin's, ideas of sound pairs, semantic-sonant chiasmus, etc.):

AvdO//Bahar bO would an assonantic and semantic-grammatical parallelism of
its own, both as sound pairs and genitive agreement or synonomy. So there are
several levels of parallelism here.

That's why I wondered about possible multivalence.
Nachman