b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 07:43:03 -0700 (PDT)

Liz F. wrote:

> NO.
> You want LW to be the object of BXR.
> You want LW to be the thing chosen.
> LW can NEVER be the thing chosen....
> I am saying the same thing over and
> over again. I'm not responding to this
> thread any more.

Hi Liz. Sorry to have frustrated you so much! :-)
Look, I'm not trying to coax another response from you
to this thread. You have stated your decision
clearly.

However, I did want to clear up a couple of items:

1) It was/is NOT my *position* or my *argument* that
"the people chose YHWH." That was how I initially
read the verse a few weeks back, and my **questions**
were intended to discover why this impression was
probably *not* correct. In other words, I
didn't/don't have a dug in stance; I didn't/don't
"want" the text to say anything...beyond what it says.
So please don't read me as if I did/do. :-)

2) I know it was my fault communicating, and my
hurried and sloppy translation didn't help, but I
NEVER was seeing LW as the object of BXR. NEVER! So
your frustration was rising from a belief that I held
a position which I in fact never held.

I understand why you thought that, however. :-)

My question was, "Why syntactically couldn't H(M
choose YHWH...LW (i.e., for itself)...if YHWH could
choose H(M...LW (i.e., for Himself), since both H(M
and YHWH are ms?" I think Karl, Jerry, Harold, and
Peter have given me adequate syntactic and contextual
reasons why my initial impression is untenable. Call
me dense; this is how I learn.

Thanks for yours everyone's help.

--Michael Millier

P.S.

Liz wrote:

> I don't know of languages where
> the objects are dropped.

Wouldn't modern Hebrew be one? Examples:

"EFO SAMTA?"
SAMTI SHAMMA MASH-MAQOM."

"ATTA OHEV?"
"MAMASH!"

"MI ROTZEH?"
"ANI, ANI!!!"

Once the object has been established by context,
modern Hebrew speakers *often* drop the object, don't
they?