b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 15:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

Harold H. III wrote:

> It's not what the words
> suggest. Do a literal
> translation.... A literal
> translation doesn't lead to
> the idea you are suggesting.

Why not, Harold? To be honest, I'm not fixated on my
*new* understanding. It's probably wrong. I'd just
like to know why it's wrong.

About 3 weeks ago, I was reading along in my "cheapy"
Psalms book (a little printed pocket edition from
Israel) when, as I first ran my eyes across 33:12, I
understood Ha-AM as the agent choosing YHWH. However,
I remembered how this verse was usually translated and
so peeked over to the English section of my Psalms
book. Sure enough, they maintained the traditional.

Now, syntactically it's ambiguous. YHWH would take a
ms verb as would Ha-AM. So other factors would have
to come into play for translators to consistently
render 33:12 with YHWH as agent choosing the patient
Ha-AM.

What are those factors...or are all the versions just
following the lead of a seminal translation such as
LXX? I'm just curious, that's all. :-)

TUV,
-- Michael Millier