b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Babylonian vocalization

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Babylonian vocalization
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:59:17 -0500

Dear Ken,

Judging by its style sheet, the article expects the user to have one of the
following fonts:
Arial Unicode MS,Bitstream CyberBit,Code2000,Aboriginal Serif,Lucida Sans
Unicode,Arial

HH: I didn't even know you could check the style sheet. But at the home page for the Jewish Encyclopedia, they had an option to choose if you had font display problems. The characters they displayed as a test looked like the question marks i had seen. The encyclopedia sent you to a link for setting up Internet Explorer to work with Unicode. I selected Unicode under Explorer Preferences/languages & fonts/default font.

Of these, the last two do not display dotted letters; Arial Unicode MS and
Code2000 do, but Arial Unicode MS is not free. Code2000 is, from
http://home.att.net/~jameskass/CODE2000.ZIP

HH: Thank you. You not only analyzed the style sheet, knew about pricing, but sent me a link to download the font! I downloaded it and unzipped it. Then I left it in its folder and put it in hard disk/library/fonts.

Unzip it and install it along with your other fonts, and the page should
display correctly.

HH: The page still looks the same. You need not trouble yourself. The issue was not that important, and at least I have a new font. I noticed that in Explorer fonts, when there is a list of languages available, Hebrew is not one of them. Greek is, but not Hebrew.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard