b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:03:00 -0800

On 29/03/2004 19:36, Dora Smith wrote:

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:05 AM

This is irrelevant. There are international standards for interchange of
Hebrew text in e-mail, Unicode and ISO 8859-8. Text which is encoded
according to these standards can be displayed by any standard Hebrew
font, including (although not very beautifully, as George Somsel pointed
out re holam) Times New Roman and the other Microsoft core fonts.

This is an error of fact. It is quite possible to send Hebrew in plain
text-only e-mail, as follows: בְּרֵאשִׁית - if you set the character

coding

to Unicode or ISO 8859-8. If a mail program cannot display this, it is
not because it is text-only but because it does not support Hebrew.
(Dora, this is what you failed to do in your posting which was supposed
to be Unicode; Outlook Express does allow you to do so.)

What exactly do you mean? WHen I clicked send it gave me some comment about
the text and asked if I wanted to send it in unicode; I clicked to send it
in unicode. Is this what you mean? Outlook Express did not then DISPLAY
the Hebrew script as Hebrew, even though Outlook Express has access to teh
same font. I tried it. But when I copied and pasted into WORD and then
told WORD to format taht text (the gibberish) in Hebrew, it did with no
trouble.

But the post that I sent not in Unicode displayed questionmarks instead of
gibberish for the Heberw, and when I copied, pasted and reformatted in WORD
it displayed it as different question marks.

Is there something I 'm supposed to do so that Outlook Express will display
unicode Hebrew script in Hebrew?

Dora, I am sorry for the confusion. It is now clear to me what the problem was. The Hebrew you were sending was not in Unicode, but in a non-standard encoding (possibly using Unicode private use area characters) which can be read only by those with the non-standard fonts you have. See my previous posting for more details of how to set up standard fonts and how to type with them. If you do this, Outlook Express supports Unicode Hebrew.

As there are plenty of free e-mail clients now available which do
support Hebrew, I think it is reasonable to ask those interested in
Hebrew to install one. After all, if one is really interested in a
subject one needs to acquire the basic tools for that subject.

Can you please recommend some?

Outlook Express is a good start. Or try Mozilla.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)