b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Birah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Birah
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:05:44 -0500

Dear All,
I discuss the term birah in my article "The Political Struggle of Fifth
Century Judah," in Transeuphratene 24 (2002):9-21
A birah is a citadel, an acropolis. It is part of a city , often
the capital of a province, which houses a fort and a garrison.
The term is well-attested. Birah is a loan-word from Akkadian birtu.
It is used throughout the Achaemenid Empire in Aramaic birta' to refer to
the city of Elephantine/Syene in Egypt, Sardis in Lydia, and
Xanthus in Lycia, and probably others.
Best,
Liz Fried