b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Birah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Birah
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:13:51 -0500

Liz:

No I did not intend to take this off list.

What I question is: was David’s use of the
term BYRH in tenth century the same as the
Akkadian usage in the fifth century? From
the context, I get the impression that the
two uses were different, though closer than
the uses of $KX between Hebrew and Aramaic.
>From the context, it appears that David
meant “imposing structure” whereas the
Akkadian and Aramaic five centuries later
had restricted it to “fortress”, which is
one type of imposing structure.

As for the book of Chronicles, I think it
is post exilic, but that the author had
access to pre-exile documents, from which
he chose highlights that he thought
important, much like a modern historian who
researches source documents, numbering many
hundreds of pages, to write a chapter of
maybe 10 pages.

Karl W. Randolph.