b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Birah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Birah
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:51:49 -0500

Dear ALl,
It's necessary to remember that Chronicles
was written during the Hellenistic period.
I think that Goldstein has a good description
of Jersualem in his commentary on First Maccabees.
There is the temple and next to the temple is the
akra/fortress/birah. You can also get that view from
reading Nehemiah. But if you read 1 Macc. 1 you can
also see it. The temple and the palace and the citadel
are all enclosed in a common wall. Tho each will have its
own wall as well within this compound.
These are usually on a hill for defensive purposes.
In addition there will be a storehouse which contains stores
of provisions of taxes, first, presented in kind, and also for
the populace of the surrounding villages in case of siege.
I don't know what the city looked like in the time of Solomon,
but neither did the Chronicler! He is describing the city of his own day.
Goldstein argues that it was the same from Persian to
the Hellenistic to the Roman, so that if you read Josephus
you can also get an idea of the relationship of the akra/citadel/fort
and the temple and the palace.
Liz