b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>, Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:31:17 -0800 (PST)

Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com> wrote, inter alia:
"....but
the WAYYIQTOL form referred to a functionality
that was unique to Hebrew, ..."

I'm not sure what you mean, Karl. In Arabic the imperfect often serves as the
participle, or, what is vulgarly known, the present tense, to this day.This
often follows the conjuction of the attached "F" letter, vowelled "fa", one
of the Arabic equivalents to the Heb. "W", the other being "wa" familiar to
members of this list.

However one would need an Arabist for further elaboration.

Uri