b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Peter Kirk'" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: 'Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:26:47 -0500

Blau probably is the main representative of the view that QH was not spoken.
His article in _Diggers at the Well_ concludes,

"The analysis of the various items in which Qumran Hebrew
differs from biblical Hebrew has demonstrated that no proof
exists that they reflect a spoken Hebrew dialect used by the
members of the Qumran sect. Comparison with Middle Arabic
texts shows that these deviations may as well be due to changes
that occur in literary texts written in a literary language, no
longer spoken, owing to various traditions, genres, fashions,
scribal schools, and personal inclinations. Accordingly , there is
no justification in abandoning the prevailing view, which explains
in the simplest and the most convincing way all the details, that
the main current of the Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls reflects
basically the latest stage of biblical (literary) language, exposed
to the influence of the spoken vernaculars, viz. Aramaic and
some sort of Middle Hebrew , which later crystallized as Mishnaic
Hebrew."