b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:12:11 -0500

The label "DSS" can be used in a wider sense to refer to texts other than
those found at Qumran, e.g., the Bar Kokhba letters, which are more like the
"grocery list" type writings Dave is looking for.
The question of whether Qumran Hebrew was primarily a literary or spoken
language is still hotly debated, as seen in several articles in -_Diggers at
the Well_ (STDJ 36, 2000).
I wouldn't be at all confident saying that Hebrew was the mother tongue for
the people at Qumran, but I would say it was at least a living, spoken
language. Still, I wouldn't say even this view is the consensus.

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot