b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: stuma in Deut 5,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: stuma in Deut 5,21
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:25:01 +0100

Shalom Michael,
I agree with you that there are ten words to be found in these texts. Yet,
as I wrote before, the division of the text into ten words offers some problems
and there are different delimitations of these "ten words" (how should the first
two "words" be divided?). Moreover, there is at least one tradition of Masoretic
accentuation that delimits _nine_ units in these texts, by reading the first two
"words" as one word. This problem might be solved by means of petuchot
and setumot, (an extra division in the final "word"), but it is not in line with
the accentuation system.

Kol tuv,
Raymond de Hoop

Op 3 mrt 2004 om 2:57 heeft Michael Millier het volgende geschreven:

Therefore any stabs at
*nine* (by you or anyone else) are inorganic to the
text(s) of the Torah.