b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Hark the Herrell Angel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Walther <krooger AT debian.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Hark the Herrell Angel
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:58:18 -0800

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:28:09PM -0600, Charles David Isbell wrote:
Now, dear Jonathan, please remember that the LXX itself was a translation
done by JEWS.

Please accept my humble apologies. Through lack of experience, I had
assumed the LXX was translated by Israelites of the Dispersion. This
new information alters things considerably.

So even if you believe with your pastor that the Massoretes
altered the text on purpose: [a] an original betulah would not change the
Hebrew meaning; [b] Greek parthenos does NOT mean virgo intacta.
Incidentally, Luke was surely aware of this, and adds the very specific
phrase on the mouth of Mary: "how can this be, since I have not known a
man!"

You have provided valuable information. I had intended to be silent for
the forseeable future, because other posters have pointed me to many
important references that I must read before returning here. But your
pithy summary of the current research has possibly saved a lot of time
reading through the texts so I break that silence to say, thank you.
Finally, I confess that I do not understand the phrase "pure-blooded Jew",

I also do not understand that phrase. I don't believe I used it, but I
could be mistaken. If I did, it was an error, and I apologize.

Jews are of many races, even as early as Exodus when a group from
Mesopotamia are joined by Egyptians, Midianites, and soon therafter
Canaanites like Rahab.

We are in complete agreement.

Your Pastor Herrell sounds to me like either an intellectual
lilliputian or a first-class bigot.

I confess that in some sense Pastor Herrell and I are both bigots. If
being strongly, patriotically pro-Israel makes one an intellectual
lillipution, then I am one too.

Take it from me, a Jew who can only trace his ancestry back to 17th
century Spain, his opinions are vulgar and vile as well as based on 24
caret ignorance.

Since he has Israel's best interests at heart, perhaps we could discuss
his errors with him in private.

Jonathan

--
Address: 13685 Hilton Road, Surrey, BC V3R5J8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-951-4142 (between 7am and 10pm, PST)