b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hark the Herrell Angel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT cox.net>
  • To: "Jonathan Walther" <krooger AT debian.org>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hark the Herrell Angel
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:28:09 -0600

Jonathan Walther raises once again the old saw about Isaiah 7.14. Sigh!
There is NO word in either Hebrew or Greek that in and of itself means virgo
intacta. I first demonstrated this is a BAR article in 1978, but many other
scholars confirm this opinion. In short, when a Hebrew or Greek writer
wishes to CERTIFY virginity, the phrase "no man had known her," or "she had
not known a man" is ALWAYS used.
Now, dear Jonathan, please remember that the LXX itself was a translation
done by JEWS. So even if you believe with your pastor that the Massoretes
altered the text on purpose: [a] an original betulah would not change the
Hebrew meaning; [b] Greek parthenos does NOT mean virgo intacta.
Incidentally, Luke was surely aware of this, and adds the very specific
phrase on the mouth of Mary: "how can this be, since I have not known a
man!"
Finally, I confess that I do not understand the phrase "pure-blooded Jew",
and I admit to a bit of skepticism about your ability to trace your family
line all the way back to King David. Jews are of many races, even as early
as Exodus when a group from Mesopotamia are joined by Egyptians, Midianites,
and soon therafter Canaanites like Rahab. The people who use racial
definitions to distinguish Jews from others are not the kind of people you
might want to emulate. Your Pastor Herrell sounds to me like either an
intellectual lilliputian or a first-class bigot. Take it from me, a Jew who
can only trace his ancestry back to 17th century Spain, his opinions are
vulgar and vile as well as based on 24 caret ignorance.
Charles David Isbell