b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] aph
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:32:04 +0000

On Sat 21 Feb 2004 (10:42:23), roodee AT thummy.com wrote:
> In 1 Samuel 1:5 the word aph is giving me a bit of grief. The typical
> meaning from NIDOTT is anger or nostrils. In Samuel it refers to some
> some of portion Samuel gives to Hannah. Can anyone shed some light on
> this word? Is it some idiomatic expression that I don't have the tools
> to decipher? Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Rudy,

This has been a conundrum from antiquity. The Targum offers B:XiYR, "choice",
but this has no cognate relationship to 'aPPiYM. The KJV offers "a worthy
portion".

The LXX makes a tacit emendation, reading apparently 'ePeS KiY (PLHN hOTI),
with a Samech for a terminal Mem. Compare Numbers 13:28, 'ePeS KiY-`aZ Ha`aM,
a similar construction. This ignores the pause with athnach of course.
"Nevertheless he loved Hannah; but YHWH had shut up her womb".

Jerome in the Vulgate translates 'aPPiYM with /tristis/: /Annae autem dedit
partem unam tristis quia Annam diligebat. Dominus autem concluserat vulvam
eius./ Sad, because he loved her and the LORD had shut her womb? Angry
even?
Compare Daniel 11:20 Lo' B:'aPPiYM not in anger. But Elqanah's anger was
against the LORD in that case, not against his beloved Hannah.

Gesenius offers "one portion of two people"; but while the synechdoche of
a part for the whole can allow 'aP (nostril) to stand for PaNiYM (face),
it is stretching it to make even two nostrils mean the owners of one nostril
each. Snorting down one's nostrils implies rage or anger; hence the normal
use of 'aP meaning anger. NIV and NRSV seems to follow this line; "a double
portion".

So relax, Rudy: you are in good company!

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick BA CF, and Mrs Joanna (Goodwin) Crick ZFC Yb
<ben.crick AT NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>