b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The word "or" in Numbers 13:18-20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The word "or" in Numbers 13:18-20
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:00:18 -0600

Dear Joe,

>Now, let's back up an look at verse 18.
>
>"See what the land is like and whether they people who live there are strong
>"or" weak, few "or" many." (NIV) [Num 13:18]

>Was "or" inserted between strong and weak because the translators simply
>felt it was "missing", or is there a grammatical explanation for this
>phenomenon?

HH: There are grammatical and stylistic reasons. The "H" on the beginning
of XZQ and RPH is an interrogative particle. A literal translation would
be: "Is it strong? Is it weak?" And the particles probably function as
indirect questions as with the preceding MH: "And you should look at the
land, what it is." We might say that: "You should see what the land is
like, and the people who live on it, whether they are weak or strong." BDB
gives "whether" as a second meaning for H, when it is used in indirect
interrogation.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard