b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea ?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:24:51 -0500

Has anyone considered the relationship of the word "suf" - what you translate as "reed", to the word "sof" - "end" - as: The sea was at the "end" of Egypt. Without looking in the ORAL Torah, I cannot imagine that no one commented on that.

Shoshanna

[snip]
To try and bring this back to a b-hebrewish topic, it seems to me that one of
the questions we need to be asking is: was "suph" a technical name for a
particular kind of reed with a distinctive shape, size and growing condition,
or perhaps a more general term for visible aquatic plants, whether freshwater
or saltwater? Has anybody looked into this?