b-hebrew - RE: [b-Hebrew] Elohim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: "'maedal AT connectnc.net'" <maedal AT connectnc.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-Hebrew] Elohim
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:46:12 -0800

Elohim is used in a variety of situations. It is the plural of eloa, or
God. However it is generally understood to be the "majestic plural", rather
the way the queen of England might say "We find our country most beautiful".
That does not mean that there are many queens or she suffers from multiple
personalities but rather she is too important to be referred to in the
singular.

Elohim is also used to refer to "foreign" or "false" gods, i.e. gods other
than Yahweh. When Saul uses a medium to call up the spirit of Samuel, the
medium says she sees "gods" (elohim) ascending out of the earth, i.e.
Samuel's spirit raising from Sheol.

dkimbrough AT clwa.org