b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Elohim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Elohim
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:21:04 -0500

And the Oral Torah (I forget which commentary specifically, but I read it) explains that "Elohim" refers to "powers", or "forces", and the use of this word when it refers to (only one) G-d, refers to G-d as the "Power of all powers"

Shoshanna

Allen, this question may veer off from the purposes of b-hebrew because of
its theological content. Elohim is a third person plural masculine noun. In
Hebrew, words are either in the singular, the dual or the plural. The dual
in Hebrew is sometimes reserved for parts of the body (hands, feet, eyes,
etc), but is also used in other ways. The plural can refer to anything which
is more than one (see Gen.19:1) or more than two. Yes, Christians have used
this argument about the plural nature of Elohim to substantiate the Trinity.
Best regards,

Tony Costa