b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guards of Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guards of Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 06:07:08 -0600

In his pretty much excellent but not perfect work, "Egypt, Canaan, and
Israel" in Ancient Times", Donald Redford says, "Interestingly, both
"Carians" and "Cretans" appear as ethnic indicators in the lists of
bodyguards of Judaean kings recruited from Philistia." In the footnote he
cites only, "2 Sam. 20:23; 2 Kings 11:4, 19" for his source on that
remarkable idea.

The entire sentence makes no sense whatever to me. Does it make sense to
anybody?

I know that Egyptian part phonetic, part syllabic hieroglyphic writing has
"determinatives" after many proper nouns to indicate things abouat that
noun, such as whether it is a person's name, a place or a people, or a god.

I am not aware of Hebrew having any such feature. My Hebrew bible is
straight Hebrew characters.

Waht is he talking about - and if "determinatives" are there, what do they
really say and mean?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas