b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Route of the Exodus (Red Sea Crossing)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Route of the Exodus (Red Sea Crossing)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:05:08 +0200

I must admitt a certain discomfort in this kind of discussion. What is its
purpose? If one takes every detail of the biblical story literally, down to
the east wind, the "walls" of water, the reeds, the 600,000, the route to
Philistia that they didn't take and so on, then whether or not you know
where "Yam Suph" was, the whole thing is rather incredible. Of course,
that's the whole point - it was a miracle, God's victory over Israel's
enemies. This is, of course a legitimate way of looking at it. But once you
admit a miracle, why insist on "natural" explanations? What diference?
On the other hand, if the Exodus story, as we have it, is a dim recolection
of a minor event in the distand past, hyped up to serve the writer's
theological purposes, or even a mythical metaphore, then all such details
give us is the picture that the author had in his mind when he wrote this
particular version. Is that what we really want to know? Whether the author
of J, P or whatever had ever experienced a Sharqiyeh on the Great Bitter
Lake?

Yigal