b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew transliteration (Lance Petersen)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew transliteration (Lance Petersen)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:35:28 -0500

My dictionary project started out merely as notes in the margines of my
printed dictionaries. Now it is a word processor file that is coded according
to Online Bible, which is an ASCII file.

I use copy and paste and the search function built into the word processor.
It’s fun to be able to look up words in a fraction of the time needed for
paper dictionaries. I have also listed according to roots and synonyms, which
I find helpful. (I don’t know how Online Bible did it, but they managed to
get Tanakh to write right to left without hard returns except at the end of
verses, and it looks decent on Macintosh.)

When it is time to translate it to unicode, it would be fairly simple to
write a translation program to switch it from -> to <- and to the unicode
encoding. So I have no problem continuing development on the dictionary.

Karl W. Randolph.