b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:55:02 -0500

Dear Peter:

First of all, thank you for the scans.

Secondly, disagreement is not libel. If so, it would be impossible to have a
discussion, debate and to learn.

Concerning the B-prefix, according to my standards, three pages is sloppy
scholarship. I disagree with the approach that BDB took towards lexicography.

One, because people are not that complex. We, including you and others on
this mailing list, who are part of the intellectual elite, may be able to
keep many disparate ideas straight, but not the common man on the street who
has trouble keeping “you’re” and “your” straight, or when to use “I” or “me”.
The common people are those who define the terms because they are the vast
majority, over 90%, whereas the intellectual elite make up less than 5%:
unless we shut ourselves up in ivory towers, we need to communicate with all
strata of society, therefore we only refine, but do not lead, in the
development of language.

Two, it is not looking for patterns of actions that often tie ideas together,
rather it is using grammatical structures that often fit other languages
better.

Based on memory without access to a list of B-prefix examples, I noticed the
following uses:

“In”, but in a very broad usage, broader than English to include location
(where in English we sometimes use “near”, “on” and “upon”), also location
within or as a participant of an action

As an indicator of instrumentality, “by means of” or “by use of” or “(by)
cost of”

Many verbs require a preposition to indicate their object use the B-prefix
where in English and other languages other words would be used. Such verbs
include but are not limited to XPC “to like” and R)H “to look, see” and its
many synonyms.

(OK, I admit, I refined my expression of these ideas after reading BDB, in
that they helped me.)

After reading your scans, I noticed it is often used in the concept “in
possession of” implying ownership where “possession of” is omitted. This use
seems similar, if not connected to, its use as an indicator of
instrumentality.

On second thought, maybe BDB were careful, not to define the term as
concisely but accurately as possible, but to make it as complex and variant
in meaning as possible. For example, Genesis 12:6 it makes sense that Abram
crossed over in the land, but BDB insist that it must be read “through”.
Starting on the bottom of page 89, “III. 1. With—a. of accompaniment” yet not
one of the verses they listed that I checked (I think I checked them all)
have that meaning, rather they either are equally well (I believe better)
understood as “in” as in “among” or are indicators of instrumentality or
possession, hence I see no need for that extra complexity. I understand “cost
of” as part of instrumentality (that by which payment is made, the
transaction completed, a debt fulfilled), but on page 90 BDB gave definitions
of “because of”, “on account of” for cost. Again on page 90 BDB insisted that
“with” or “of” be used for working in crafts, where “in” is perfectly
acceptable English. Do I
need to give more examples?

I suspect what we are dealing with here is a difference in philosophy.

I think that BDB had trouble seeing the forest for the trees. Both of us
looked at the trees (actual occurrences in the text) but I tend to look at a
lot of trees to see what sort of forest I deal with: whether taiga of Siberia
or Canada, broad leaf temperate such as much of the eastern half of the U.S.,
temperate rainforest as on the Olympic Peninsula, tropical rainforest as in
Brazil, and so forth. The impression I get from BDB is that they analyzed
each tree almost in isolation from the forest around it.

Secondly, Biblical Hebrew lexemes should be studied according to Biblical
Hebrew standards. Comparisons, even to cognate languages let alone widely
disparate languages, to be done only later. It appears that BDB started with
such comparisons (though occasionally, especially in hapax legomai words, the
Hebrew doesn’t have enough data to indicate meaning).

Thirdly the analysis should be done in context. Yes, BDB did this, but I mean
in even a broader sense: are we dealing with an idiomatic phrase? Is this a
construct that is grammatically required? Is this a compound lexeme (e.g.
“strike out” as a compound lexeme is only remotely related to “strike”, or in
modern Chinese monosyllabic words are combined into de facto polysyllabic
lexemes just like German to define new concepts)? Is it a euphemism or other
literary construct where the “dictionary meaning” is different from the
contextual meaning (here I think of )BD ‘to be(come) lost, i.e. unable to be
found’ often used as a euphemism for death)?

Fourth, probably should have been first, I look at function, what action is
described whereas BDB looked at form, how does it look in its uses?
Functionality often ties together apparently disparate uses into one
understanding. As a result, my first sentence covers half of the definition
given in BDB; one sentence for a page and a half of their work.

It’s been a long time since I last looked at BDB, and I no longer have a
copy. But seeing those scans reminded me why I stopped using their dictionary.

>From other sources, I know that BDB (and Gesenius too for that matter among
>many others) hewed to a particular Weltanschauung for which I have no
>respect, but discussion thereof is off list.

Karl W. Randolph.