b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Paper uploaded: Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, Mood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Paper uploaded: Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, Mood
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:24:27 +0100

Dear Ken,

Your approach of analyzing *all* the verbs is fine, and your criticism that earlier works have just made partial analyzes is fine as well.

I have the following comments though:

Note 4. "used differently". What is the meaning of "differently"? Because you mention the basic TAM factors in your introduction, the reader may think that "differently" refers to one or more of these. If you for instance are saying that the *meaning* of a verb, say a WAYYIQTOL is different in different genre situations, I disagree with your assumption. A verb form has the same meaning in any context, but it can be used differently.

p 7. I think that a participle used as substantive (and as adjective) must be a part of the database as well as all other uses of the forms. They tell something about the use of participles, and they may throw light on the use verbs in different books as well. In my database of 70.000 verbs I have listed all participles and infinitives as well as all the finite forms.

p 9. WAW. I am not sure what the terms "T" and "F" refer to. If the application of these letters is based on the Masoretic pointing, I see no problem here. Because then the database only give data as to Masoretic pointing. But if the letters are based on the judgement of the compiler, then their use is circular. The purpose of the database is to give a basis for the interpretation of Hebrew verbs, so the compiler should not assume *before* everything is compiled that WAWs have a converting (or some other) power and that there are four rather than two conjugations in Classical Hebrew. Conclusions regarding this should be drawn when everything is compiled.

pp 17, 23. ASPECT. "temporal constituency (complete /progressive recurring/ event)". This is the most problematic part. You refer to Broman Olsen's treatment of aspect. Her work on English aspect/tense is excellent. But her application to Greek leaves much to be desired, because Greek aspects are different. The basic weaknesses in studies of the Hebrew verb are, 1) the term "aspect" is only vaguely defined or not defined at all, and 2) the nature of English aspect is projected into Hebrew. In my view, the best way to understand the nature of Hebrew verbs, is first to make a thorough analysis of the nature of Hebrew aspect compared with aspects in other languages, and then to view the Hebrew verbal system in the light of the finds. To force the aspectual system of one language upon Hebrew is a fallacy.

I see no problems with your classification by the letters "C, R, D" on p 19. What you get in your database by such a classification are groups of similar events, and that is OK. The problem I see, is to connect these to "aspect". For example, the characteristics "repetitive/iterative" is hardly an aspectual quality, but such a situation is the function of what you call "lexical aspect" and "grammatical aspect," and cannot be connected with "grammatical aspect" alone. Iterative/repetitive situations can be expressed by perfective verbs in Hebrew as well as imperfective ones.

As to the tagging of "complete" and "durative" events and relating these to the aspects, I have the following comments: The term "durative" (=continued action or state) in this context is a misnomer, because it is an Aktionsart term and not an aspectual term. A verb such as $YR (sing) is durative "by birth". It can never cease to be durative, and is just as durative when expressed by a QATAL as when it is expressed by a YIQTOL. The term "complete" is problematic as well. I have a list of close to one thousand QATALs with future reference, most of which do not have the force of what we call future perfect. So how can these be said to be "complete"? And if they are not "complete," should they not be subsumed under the imperfective rather than the perfective aspect, given the contrast "durative/complete"? A classification on the basis of "complete"/"durative" can be done, but the results are not directly related to aspect.

And further, what does the terms really mean? For example, what does the term "complete" mean in contrast to "completed"? Comrie is unclear in his discussion of aspect, and I think that Broman Olsen is correct when she says that the perfective aspect in English is expressed by perfect and not by simple past. This means that "completed" is what should be applied to the English perfective aspect and not "complete", as Comrie does. However, this does not work in Hebrew, where both the imperfective and perfective aspect can be used to describe completed actions or states. But if you apply the term "complete" to a Hebrew verb, how can you by observation distinguish between what is completed and what is complete? What are the characteristics of a complete verbal event? And the same can be asked regarding a "durative" event? How can you by observation know that a verb is what you call "durative" and that others are not? I am afraid that both terms at the outset entail circularity. If the terms are not circular (it has already been decided that the perfective aspect is complete and the imperfective is durative), there must be a clear observational distinction between "complete" and "completed" and between "durative" and "non-durative" events.

The creation of a database along the lines you suggest is a very fine work. And I hope my criticisms, which I have tried to pose in a positive way, can be of help of the further refining of your search criteria.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

I am seeking feedback on a paper entitled "Toward a Method of Tagging Hebrew
Tense, Aspect, and Mood." http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/thesis/TMA.pdf

Those of you who have been following my dissertation research know that I
propose that the prototypical feature set of the basic verb forms may be
discovered using an empirical method of statistical correlation between
formal features and semantic function:

"A major pitfall has plagued past studies of the Hebrew verbal system,
namely the lack of reproducible statistics supporting alleged correlations
between form and meaning. Today's computational technology offers a
solution: to produce a computer database of all the verbs in the corpus,
tagged for both formal and semantic features. In order to yield the required
correlations, such a computer database of the verbs in a corpus must be
tagged for indicators such as morphology, lexis, and syntax on one hand, and
semantic values such as time reference, aspect, and modality on the other.
One may then determine the strength of an association between each form and
each function by correlating the semantic values with the forms and
positions of the verbs."

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. (cand.), Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada