b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] history of square script

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Elaine Keown <elaine_keown AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] history of square script
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:39:13 -0800 (PST)

Elaine Keown
central Texas

Hello:

I'm looking for help on the history of Aramaic or
Hebrew square script---I'm looking at them as,
basically, a unit.

I assume square script starts in Elephantine in Egypt
about 495 B.C., develops into slightly later square
script in Qumran documents, but what then?

At Qumran, so far, I think 50-60% of the letters
(depends on document) look modern to me (for the mss
which *are* in square script).

But after Qumran, how long is the hiatus before we get
to 100% of the letters appearing modern? In Birnbaum,
he seems to indicate it's another 600 years---I was
very surprised by that........

I also wondered if the Cairo Geniza had examples of
slightly later square script development?

I'm drawing sample letters to re-use in a Web
document, so references with photo/drawn facsimiles
appreciated.

Thanks for all help--Elaine Keown