b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] )XT, rare use

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Pastor Richard Bacon" <pastor AT fpcr.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] )XT, rare use
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:47:36 -0600

> In almost all its uses, )XT means "one", however in Numbers
> 10:4, Isaiah 19:18, Jeremiah 10:8, Haggai 2:6 and Proverbs
> 28:18 it seems to be a noun. As such it is not in the
> dictionaries I have. Could it be from the root XTT? Any ideas?

It's a variant of )XD, being used substantivally in some cases. In
Numbers, it refers to blowing ONE of the trumpets; in Isaiah it is ONE
of the five cities; in Jeremiah it is a little more obscure: they are
ONE in their stupidity and foolishness; in Haggai it is ONE more (bit);
and in Prov. it seems to be ONE time or at ONE time. So it seems to me,
anyway.

Dr. Richard Bacon, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church
Rowlett, TX