b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Dahood on `ecah, derek, mow$ab

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Dahood on `ecah, derek, mow$ab
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:23:03 -0400

Bryan wrote:

> >He says `ecah can mean council as well as counsel. That's
> easy enough
> >to take, right?

What do you mean "easy to take?" Are you saying that the evidence
supports it, or that it's such a minor change that no one should
complain?

> >For derek, he points out a Ug. cognate drkt, meaning throne,
> and says
> >that Hb. derek can mean throne (or seat of power) in the Tanakh in
> >passages such as Ps 110:7 (and I might add Hos. 10:13, Pro
> 31:3, Ps 138:5, Jer 3:13, Ps
> >119:37). The idea has barely snuck into HALOT.

I'm not sure what you think "barely snuck" looks like, but it seems to
be represented well enough in HALOT. Regardless of the question mark,
anyone who looks at the entry should consider it as a possibility.
Personally, I would put a question mark, too. I don't see where any of
those verses would have to mean "throne," and in some of them I don't
even see it as a realistic option. As Dahood notes, there is an Ugaritic
cognate, but the meaning of "throne" isn't quite as clear.

> >He says mow$ab may have a political nuance as in Ps 107:32
> (and I add
> >Gen 36:43, 1 Ki 10:5, Job 29:7, Ps 132:13).

Is it having a political nuance if it happens to be a seat of someone in
a political position? I don't quite get where this argument is supposed
to take us.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics