b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dahood on `ecah, derek, mow$ab

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dahood on `ecah, derek, mow$ab
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:45:46 -0400

Hi Peter,

I don't see what Qumran has to do with Dahood's Ps. 1:1. Perhaps you have

and you wrote:
> Perhaps it is because other scholars do not accept that speculative
> reconstructions from a cognate language, many centuries remote from the
> Psalms, take priority over all the other evidence from DSS, Rabbinic
> commentaries, ancient versions etc, all of which is probably closer in
> time to the Psalms than is any of the Ugaritic material.
>
> Dahood's proposed meaning of "throne" for DRK seems to me just about as
> speculative and unnecessary as Karl's "unknown" for (LMH.

He doesn't suggest an emendation or reconstruction (at least in this verse
;-) ). He reads derek as derek and mow$ab as mow$ab. So there is no
relevance to Qumran here unless there is a pesher on Psa 1:1 that I haven't
seen. I would think, if anything, Qumran supports Dahood's emphasis on
place, given the cult's general devotion to their community. In one Pesher
Psalms that I know of (1QH XVI. 4-6) we read 'wd[kh 'dwny] ky nttny bmqwr
nwzlym byb$h wmbw` mym b'rc cyh...`cy xyym bm`yn rz mxwb'ym btwk `cy mym "I
thank [you, Lord] because you placed me at the source of streams in a dry
land, at a spring of water in a parched land...trees of life in the secret
source, hidden among the watered trees."

BTW, did you look at the other vv. I cited for derek meaning "seat of
power"? NIV did translate some of those as "strength," "vitality" or some
such.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine